Portable browser Chromium 75.X is an open-source browser project that forms the basis for the Chrome web browser. But let’s take a little deeper look at what that means. Chromium is a free and open-source web browser developed by Google. It is a fully functional browser on its own and supplies the vast majority of source code for the Google Chrome browser. The two browsers have always had some differences, as indicated by their names: chromium is the metal used to make chrome plating.
The Chromium source code is also widely used by other parties to create their own browsers, in a similar manner as Google, while others simply build it as-is and release browsers with the Chromium name. The user interface is minimalist because Google wanted its browser to “feel lightweight (cognitively and physically) and fast”
The biggest difference between the two browsers is that, while Chrome is based on Chromium, Google also adds a number of proprietary features to Chrome like automatic updates and support for additional video formats. Google also took a similar approach with the Chromium OS, which is an open-source project that forms the basis for their own Chrome OS—the operating system that runs on Chromebooks.
- The similar system requirements as Google Chrome
- The similar user interface and settings as Google Chrome
- The similar support for extensions and themes as Google Chrome
- No unwanted software protection (known as Chrome Cleanup and “software_reporter_tool.exe”), on Windows
- Compiled with all audio/video codecs (AV1, H.265, H.264, MPEG-4, MP3, FLAC, AAC, AMR…)
- Compiled with the enabled Widevine plugin. It is able to play DRM content (on Netflix, for example)
- With defined Google API keys. So Google services (like Sync, Hotword, Translate, Now, Hangout…) work. You will be able to log in with your Google account and synchronize your data
- “Secure Preferences” feature which protect user data against malware
- PepperFlash (PPAPI) is the unique plugin for Chromium. PepperFlash is secure because it works in a sandbox. In short, it executes in its own process, separate from the browser’s rendering engine.
Download Portable browser Chromium 75.X